- 10 medium red onions
- 2tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 8 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200g (6½oz) white bread (about 5 thick slices, with crusts)
- Large handful parsley, chopped
- 450g (14oz) good quality sausagemeat
- Large handful dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 medium Bramley apples, cored, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 100g (3½oz) hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 large egg
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Peel the red onions, then place in a pan of boiling water and simmer for 5 mins to soften. Drain and cool. Cut a 1cm (½in) slice off the top of each onion, reserving these ‘lids’ for later. Using a teaspoon, remove the inner core of each onion, keeping the three outer layers intact. Finely chop the inner cores of four onions.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the bacon, chopped onion and garlic for 7-10 mins, or until softened. Transfer to a bowl. Whizz the bread in a good processor to make breadcrumbs and add to the bowl with the onion mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and mix with your hands until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Spoon the filling into the onion cases and replace the lids. Brush each onion with a little extra olive oil and place in a roasting tin. If the onions will not stand up, slice a small sliver off the bottom. Bake for about 30 mins or until the onions are golden and begin to soften.
Please follow and like us: