Even parents who keep medicines out of their children’s reach are at risk of an emergency.
The Emergency Medicine Clinics of South America notes that in 60 percent of all childhood accidental poisonings, the medication bottle was only “out” for a short amount of time as it was being used.
Here are some of the more common medicines that can lead to emergencies when accidentally ingested by kids:
1.”Heart Pills” In children, they can cause dangerously low blood pressure and heart rate, and even lead to shock.
2.”Muscle Rubs” Camphor is especially dangerous because ingesting it works so quickly, symptoms occur within 10-20 minutes, and often children can go into seizures without any warning.
3. “Prescription Pain Medications” For an infant, even half a tablet of hydrocodone can be lethal.
4. “Aspirin and Oil of Wintergreen” Oil of wintergreen is particularly hazardous because its pleasant smell tempts toddlers to ingest it, but one teaspoon of oil of wintergreen is the equivalent of nearly 90 baby aspirins ” a life” threatening dose for a toddler or child.